Monday, April 21, 2014

 

Eight Years For Some Reason

What a year.

On the Nintendo front, the Wii has been closing up shop bit by bit, and despite an interesting year overall, they're slowly sinking in the market.  Even from a fan's point of view, it seems like they aren't what they used to be.

The Kindle is no longer a viable games platform, but the debut of Kindle Fire TV is a sign that my dark prophecy is coming to fruition.

The way we pay for games and what we actually own afterward is more of an issue than ever.  We've been moving toward a digital world for a while now, but for the first time, I find myself caught up in it.  I've had my fill of appy monetization schemes.  And don't get me started on NFC figures.

It really feels like we're going through some seismic shifts in this hobby.

But it's been a good year.

Discovering Go Vacation was arguably the event of the year for me.  In one blow, it reignited my interest in the Wii and video games in general.  It further led me to discover Walk It Out! and Fishing Resort -- together, they make up the Wii Virtual Vacation Trifecta.

Penny Arcade inspired me to take another stab at putting together a home arcade, with some pleasant results, mixing the old, the new, and even some pinball.

But besides just wallowing in nostalgia, I'm happy to say that my 3DS has finally ascended from bitterly resented impulse purchase to portable of choice.  This was helped along in large part by Animal Crossing: New Leaf, a refreshing take on Nintendo's real-time life sim that I can see myself playing for years to come.

(And don't tell anyone, but I'm kind of hooked on Rusty's Real Deal Baseball.)

I wonder what the next year will bring.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?