Wednesday, March 28, 2007

 

A Leap of Faith

And my video game diet is officially broken. (Animorphs doesn't count -- I got that to feed a whole different obsession entirely.) Armed with nothing more than a glowing recommendation from Penny Arcade and free shipping from Amazon, I've put in an order for Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords for my DS. As I type, the clockwork leviathan of the US Postal service is set in motion to send a new game card to my front doorstep sometime within the next two weeks.

I can't say it's the perfect way to break my diet. It's based on compulsion more than any sort of real need. I have yet to find a review that explains, clearly, how a marriage between Bejeweled and classic RPG mechanics would even work. I have a vague notion of character design, combat, and level-grinding possibilities, but then I try to fit puzzle-sorting into the mix, and I draw a complete blank.

I'm suspicious. It sounds like something that I already own. I have a portable Bejeweled in Zoo Keeper, and I'm starting to get back into the joy of level grinding in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. I am, however, willing to concede that the whole may be greater than the sum of its parts. One of the things I liked about The New Tetris on Nintendo 64 (even though I never actually got around to owning it) was the idea that it tracked your puzzle-playing career, and every line you cleared would be remembered and add somehow to your overall worth.

A Bejeweled RPG could be cool. I guess I'll see how it goes.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?