Monday, October 30, 2006

 

November Hiatus

One thing I've learned this month is that I'm very good at creating words in copious quantities. Some of my posts this month took multiple days to brew, but many of them were pounded out in a single day. And I'm hoping to put some of that momentum to good use by entering National Novel Writing Month in November. I intend to channel all of my free time toward writing a work of fiction totaling over 50,000 words before December 1st.

I'm still catching up with the implications. Updating Electric Dilintia will be put on the back burner, as will a great many of my normal online pursuits. I hope to keep myself out of the loop for video game news for as long as I can stand it. What's more, I hope to not actually play video games during any period of time that I could otherwise spend writing.

And, of course, I plan to miss out on the launch of the Wii.

That's the big question mark in my mind right now. Of course, I've been telling myself for months now that I really don't need to have one of these things on launch day, that it'll still be there if I wait a couple months or even a year. It's just another toy -- and it's not like I have a lack of toys right now. But as I've also said, I'm an addict. I've anticipated this thing for so long that any question of its actual quality is irrelevant. I need it on my game shelf, I need to swing that magic wand around, I need to stuff my brain silly with stupid, arcadey action games. Am I actually going to hold out that long?

Yes. And you know why?

Because I, CPFace, do solemnly swear that if I can finish the NaNoWriMo challenge within the allotted time limit, I will treat myself to a Wii and any games that look even vaguely interesting on December 1st, the total value of which may not exceed $450 before tax. If I fail this challenge, then I will wait until such a time as I am able to complete a comparably heroic task worthy of splurging on a new piece of home entertainment. And if system/software shortages are so bad as to prevent me from getting such a decadent gift for myself, this promise will be fulfilled at the next earliest opportunity.

There. That might just motivate me.

As for Electric Dilintia, I'll be back for it soon enough. There is not yet a shortage of video game thoughts bouncing around in my head. I'm interested in putting up reviews for Mario Party Advance and Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games in the near future, plus I've been promising myself that I'd get around to explaining why I think save slots have hurt video games, and maybe do a quick expose on terrible video games that I enjoy nonetheless.

If all goes well, I'll see you in December. Happy NaNoWriMo!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?