Monday, May 08, 2006
Thoughts From the Press Conference
- God it must be creepy being an athlete with a video game license these days. That Tiger Woods demo reminded me of one of those movies where an actor plays a cyborg -- bits of human emotion interspersed between long, painful stretches of the soulless robotic stare.
- People just flock to really depressing entertainment in general. How the hell many bleak war games do we really need?
- That card game demo was so cool. And pointless. If I already had the system, I'd totally get it, set it up, play it once, then stuff it in the closet.
- Watching a video game press conference is so weird. It's all executives talking about giant enemy boss characters.
- Sony's stolen Nintendo's ideas and gives not the slightest indication of the inspiration. Anyone surprised? (Also, that game demo looked damned cool.)
- $500. $500. What, seriously? $500? Before eBay inflates the price when there's a holiday shortage? $600 for the good version? Hmmm.
Overall, Sony's presentation has left me with the strangest feeling of existential dread. Good news is, my Atari paddles came today. Time to fire up the Flashback 2.